WELCOME TO MOSELEY FORUM

Moseley Village Green - Nigel Blakey

Moseley

Moseley is a well-established village community within the City of Birmingham, U.K. The village is a lively centre of creativity and is home to an amazing mix of people.


Moseley Park & Pool in Autumn - Brett Wilde

Moseley Forum

Moseley Forum works to improve the area for the benefit of the whole community and covers 9,000 households


Save the Planet public meeting - June 2007

All residents of Moseley are automatically members of the Forum. If you are interested in improving Moseley for the benefit of the community, then come to a public meeting or to one of our committee meetings which are open to the public. To see the Objectives of the Forum click on the About Us link.


If the information you are looking for is not here then please get in touch via the Contact Us page

Committee Meeting - 19th February 2014

Attendees

Committee members: David Isgrove (Chair), Izzy Knowles (Vice Chair), Anna Hraboweckyj, Esther Boyd, Liz Rasheed, Joss Kennordrie, John Gorman
Guests: Fiona Adams (Moseley Society), PC Salma Jabeen, John Herring, John Newson

Apologies

Jill Adams, Christine Hemming

Minutes of the previous meeting & matters arising:

Corrections to minutes:
Amendment to Alison Millward’s name (not Alison Woodward)
Amendment to Liz Culver’s name
Steven Bentley is from Housing Department of Birmingham City Council
Gary Dalton is Highway Engineer for Hall Green District
‘Taxis Only After 9pm’ sign has not been removed but is now against Barclays Bank pillar so not easily visible
With these corrections the minutes of previous meeting were approved

Matters arising:

Change to Number 1 bus route: DI has sent email to Ian Mack of Green Bus Co. Ian was open to discussion, his concerns are around how people will know the bus is coming – they need enough customers. Idea of a Theatre bus for key events was discussed and Ian was going to discuss this with The Rep etc to see if details could go on their websites. Possibility of specific times for going to Library, going shopping etc also discussed.

Food Swaps: Jen Barrow has emailed to say she will attend the next meeting with proposal

Moseley Forum Local Issues:

(a) Shared Space
DI updated on past progress on Shared Space – Hamilton Bailey consultants had undertaken initial planning and there have been 3 public meetings about the idea. Alison Millward researched how disability groups can deal with shared space scheme. The council once agreed in principle to consider the scheme but have never proceeded due to funding. Moseley Forum is considering funding further research now.
John Newson attended to outline his proposals. He will undertake a combination of desk research and talking to people and then pull together ideas of how a shared space scheme might be funded, who would need to say yes, potential savings in the longer term for the council. This will be written up in two parts: 1) an outline of the possibilities; 2) focussing in on the front runners to see what could be done to make them happen. This will be stage 1 of the contract.
Discussed whether Moseley Forum should be main contractor for this or the Farmers Market. Agreed to the Farmers Market to be the main contract holder with a Project Management Team to be made up from representatives from Farmers Market, Moseley Forum and Mos Regen Group.

EB attended Kings Heath Road Safety Strategy meeting where Lisa Trickett stated the strategy must cover the whole ward. EB will discuss with Lisa what we are doing on Shared Space and link road safety into our work.

(b) MF to assist in MCAP evaluation – do we accept invitation?
AH has met with Salim Miah who has invited Moseley Forum to meet him and scope the evaluation and what process needs to be used. AH asked for agreement to do this, which was given. Next the Community Alcohol Partnership will need to approve this.

(c) Public Meeting re MCAP
If Mf was to hold a public meeting on this, it was agreed that this should be after the project and the evaluation are completed in June

(d) Timebank – Maria
Timebank is a new project based in Moseley Exchange. It is a platform for people to help each other in the community and be paid in time which can then be used when needed or given away. Maria would be keen for Mf to be part of it and help to spread the word to others. It is also possible to ask for help, even without having built up time credits - this could be useful in getting volunteers for public events. Maria clarified that for volunteers working with vulnerable people they ask for DBS checks. Agreed for AH to email Maria what help Mf needs for events and she will try to source people. Maria can be contacted on

(e) Anti-Terrorism Campaign – PC Salma Jabeen
Salma previously worked for the Counterterrorism Unit and has worked in this area for 12 years. The current Government’s Counterterrorism Strategy has four strands: Prevent, Pursue, Protect, and Prepare. Prevent involves working with vulnerable individuals to support them and prevent them from becoming terrorists by providing mentoring, counselling etc. There are pots of funding for communities to contribute to this by e.g. identifying what the grievances are, supporting individuals. Community groups in Birmingham have challenged extremist speakers before and made them leave. Al-Qaida and the Far Right are both risks in this area. Salma offered to deliver the training on identifying vulnerabilities and what drives people to commit terrorism to Mf. Agreed to open this out to local Moseley groups such as the CDT. Agreed for LR to contact Moseley groups to ascertain interest and take this forward

(f) Moseley Forum AGM and Hustings
Hustings now need to be later due to changes in dates of the European and Local Elections. 13th May was agreed as the date; need to email Jon Jaffa to confirm this is OK with Kings Heath. All Services Club has been provisionally booked by JG and he will look into details regarding use of bar and projection equipment.
AGM dates proposed as 17th/18th June. JG will speak to Saint Columba’s Hall regarding these dates and whether the drummers are playing then.

(g) Christmas Lights Fundraiser
IK has sent out Thank You letter to businesses with a summary of what was done and where money was spent – this was presented at the meeting.
The first fundraising event of this year was held along with Moseley in Bloom at Priya restaurant. Over £1300 was raised, which added to what was carried over from last year means there is already around £3000 raised for this year. The film shown at the event will be put on YouTube and IK will send the link.
Moseley Forum relationships update:
1) Regen Group
AH informed that planning is ongoing for launching the Regeneration Strategy Action Plan and she will update as things develop

2) Farmers Market update
Helpers are needed for the next market – DI to ask Timebank as agreed above

3) Clean Environment Group
JG updated that criteria for gritting bins was last reviewed in 2005/6 so there is hope that it will be reviewed again soon. The Anti-Litter campaign is also increasing.

4) Moseley B13 Magazine
Printers did not deliver until Tuesday but magazines were sold out at the Priya fundraising event

5) Moseley Society
FA updated that there are several planning issues at present, some relating to Permitted Development with retail shops changing to cafes. The chicken restaurant next to Nima now has a licence to 3am on Saturdays and is applying for planning permission to bring this into line with their licence. They have an illuminated sign that is not allowed in the Conservation Area, question of how to tackle this.

6) Digital Storytelling
AH updated that Jess and Maria from Moseley Exchange have trained in capturing people’s stories on film. Considering how Mf could use this, perhaps to make a film about the Farmer’s Market.

7) SusMo
EB updated that the recycling campaign is now on the website. Their next meeting is on the 20th Feb at the Kitchen Garden Café.

Moseley Forum relationships update:
1) Regen Group
AH informed that planning is ongoing for launching the Regeneration Strategy Action Plan and she will update as things develop

2) Farmers Market update
Helpers are needed for the next market – DI to ask Timebank as agreed above

3) Clean Environment Group
JG updated that criteria for gritting bins was last reviewed in 2005/6 so there is hope that it will be reviewed again soon. The Anti-Litter campaign is also increasing.

4) Moseley B13 Magazine
Printers did not deliver until Tuesday but magazines were sold out at the Priya fundraising event

5) Moseley Society
FA updated that there are several planning issues at present, some relating to Permitted Development with retail shops changing to cafes. The chicken restaurant next to Nima now has a licence to 3am on Saturdays and is applying for planning permission to bring this into line with their licence. They have an illuminated sign that is not allowed in the Conservation Area, question of how to tackle this.

6) Digital Storytelling
AH updated that Jess and Maria from Moseley Exchange have trained in capturing people’s stories on film. Considering how Mf could use this, perhaps to make a film about the Farmer’s Market.

7) SusMo
EB updated that the recycling campaign is now on the website. Their next meeting is on the 20th Feb at the Kitchen Garden Café.

Date of next meeting: Monday 3rd March 2014, Moseley Exchange @ 7.00pm

Recycling Explained

Lot's of people ask us 'What can we /can't we put in our re-cycling box'
We've asked the council this question many times and now we have an answer:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/recyclingcollection

Committee Meeting - 2nd December 2013

Attendees

Committee members: David Isgrove (Chair); Izzy Knowles (Vice chair); Jill Adams; Esther Boyd; Liz Rasheed (minutes); John Gorman;

Guests: Fiona Adams (Moseley Society); Jonathan Hayes (Centro); J Brewer (Moseley in Bloom); Judy Witton; Stan Witton; Martin Clift (Amey); Lorraine McGowan; Ernie Hendricks (Councillor)

Apologies

Christine Hemming; Anna Hraboweckyj; Martin Straker Welds

Minutes of the previous meeting & matters arising:
Amendment to spelling of Cllr Hendricks name
Susmo shares a joint bank account with Kings Heath Transition and the money has gone to that account.
Minutes of previous meeting approved.

Actions from previous meeting:
Left over FM produce - IK asked if SIFA Fireside would take left over FM produce. Problems with perishable food but IK will check if they can take bread.
JA will also check if the night shelter will take some of the leftover produce

Councillor Hendricks to find out about Lendlease – as yet there is no confirmed information what is happening to the site

Public Liability Insurance issue – JA has done the questionnaire

Action carried forward
IK to nominate the Moseley & Kings Heath Police Team in the West Midlands Police Diamond Awards, in particular PC Amy Hollier, for the successful implementation of Operation Nightowl through the summer, which has seen patrols in the village every Fri & Sat night, including joint patrols with MCAP alcohol outreach workers. Businesses have reported a good relationship with police and fewer incidents. The committee agreed the proposal

Moseley Forum Local Issues:
(a) The proposed nos 2 and 3 bus routes through Moseley (Wake Green road and then into town via the Alcester Rd)
Welcome to Jon Hayes (JH), Birmingham and Solihull Area Manager of Centro. Apologies from National Express. JH explained Centro’s role in ensuring operators adhere to policies. Centro do not determine bus routes however they are heading up a consultation with operators, Amey and local employers, Partnership Plus, a voluntary multilateral agreement to review bus services for Birmingham South and Solihull with a view to implementing changes for 23 February 2014.
90% of services are operated on a commercial basis but Centro have a standard that people should be within 400 metres of a service. If an area is bereft of service they will try to convince operators to run a non-commercial service in that area, failing that they may subsidise a needed service. Final decisions on services lie with the operators such as National Express and others. JH will let the Forum know the result of consultation with the operator in December and will produce a change leaflet before 23 February 2014.
Centro are pleased that National Express are consulting before making changes.

Specific Issues
1. The proposed change to route the 2 and 3 down through Moseley Wake Green road and then into town via the Alcester Rd has been dropped.
2. An alternative proposal is to route them along Stoney Lane and Yardley Wood Road, leaving Showell Green Lane without any service. Concerns were expressed at this because of the mental health service on Showell Green Lane. Centro (JH) will talk to Heart of England PCT and assess need which may require subsiding. The reason for the change in route was to avoid congestion on Stratford Road. Fears were expressed that the 2 and 3 will get amalgamated and reduced.
3. Changes to the number 1 route were criticised. Sheepcote Street is not a destination. Fare payers are expected to pay again on a different bus to get from Sheepcote Street to the Town Hall where the number 1 originally stopped. Currently bus timings do not allow people to travel by bus to and from theatre performances. It was also difficult to get to the new library.
4. JH noted comments and explained it was a balance between a reliable service and a service that was less reliable but went into town. Requests were made to make it more frequent and restore the original destination of Town Hall. JH explained the Forum can talk to operators and suggest routes.
5. The lack of a bus service for Queensbridge Road and Russell Road was noted.
6. 650 route – EH suggested it be routed down Moor Green Lane. FA described the current route, but there are no stops- you have to wave at it. The lack of a timetable was noted.
7. Stan Witton raised the issue of buses returning to Fox Hollies garage showing ‘Not in Service’ and not picking up passengers who wanted to go that way. It seemed a lost opportunity.
8. EH stated that Centro send out a monthly sheet about changes which the forum could obtain.
(a) Decluttering of the signs and street furniture of the centre of Moseley Village
Welcome to Martin Clift (Amey)
Martin outlined the lighting replacement programme which entailed moving posts and introducing lights which are controlled by mobile phone through an aerial on the top of the lamp. The LED lights are dimmable, thus reducing costs, and allow accurate data on usage. Some lights had to be retro fitted. Martin also outlined issues on regulatory and advisory signage. Where allowable reflective signs are used instead of those requiring lighting, and where they must be lit, LED lighting is used.
DI raised the question of decluttering, for example, what are the legal requirements for primary and secondary traffic lights and posts. MC to let the forum know. After a walk round with DI and others Fri 29th November, areas that could be decluttered were identified by MC.

JB Moseley in Bloom wanted to know what decision have been made as this affects the hanging baskets. Amey wash road signs but some are the responsibility of the council. Jenny asked if this was coordinated and the appearance of what is left should be clean.

MC indicated that once the order of works was drawn up, identified work could be completed within a few weeks, possibly before Christmas.

Issue – position of bollards and traffic lights that were inappropriately moved some time ago.
EH to mention this in council meeting.

Issue –IK raised the issue of road surface on Billelsey Lane as dangerous.

Issue – colour consistency in conservation area. MC responded that on A roads poles have to be black but in conservation area posts can be blue. DI requested they are all to be blue.

Christmas Lights: Thursday 5th December switch on - lights are up from Prince of Wales through to the Cross and also some on Woodbridge Road.
Holly tree needs cutting. JB to chase.
Approximately £8,500 raised. Big thank you to Izzy Knowles, Ernie Hendricks, community and business groups and individuals.
The crowd funding site so far raised £945.

Moseley Murals: some tags have appeared. JB suggest painting over.
EH will try to find out which groups the tags belong to Lendlease (see Matters arising)

Next public meeting – suggested date 20 March 2014 and 28 April for hustings. Some discussion on date in March. JG to find out if other dates available. Di to check if AH can chair

Community Alcohol Project
MCAP update meeting Tuesday 28 January 2014- to be confirmed

Moseley Forum Relationships:

Police update: e-mailed round. DI to put a copy in the CDT for JG
Action: IK to complete nomination

Farmers’ Market - over 60 stalls for December market, MP may attend

Clean Environment Group - JG met with the environmental health officer. Rubbish in car park and overflowing bins noted by officer. Signs are being put up, anti-litter campaign planned, on the spot fines. Derelict sites in Kings Heath mentioned–Kingsway cinema and Cash Convertors. FA asked about the value of recycled cans and recycling for next ward meeting. Car park lights fixed. Old Sorrento building on Anderton Park Road has planning permission for demolition.

B13 Magazine - good feedback and website up and running – good feedback received.

Moseley Society
• 100-106 School Road currently boarded up will be opening under Mencap and Servol.
• Next to the Cross (was Yen) application for tattoo parlour
• St Mary’s Church heritage hoping for lottery funding to open up access
• Draft Supplementary development plan (SDP) has 44 separate representations. After alterations will go to cabinet members Feb/March
• Regeneration strategy- no money available so whatever is done will have to be by community. JA requested a public meeting on this.
EH explained there are changes to ward management. More information at the ward meeting 11 December

SusMo (Sustainable Moseley)
• SUSMO finances have been transferred to their joint bank account (see earlier actions)
• Core 50 the community energy group has changed its name to Community Energy Birmingham
• Planning application submitted for a wind turbine at Ackers
Community Development Trust
Needs to make more money
New full time post for warden for Moseley and Kings Heath funded by CAP/Community Chest/Gas Safety

Timebank Issues: (not discussed at meeting)
Action: AH to query safeguarding issue. IK to sort out MF membership

Moseley Forum Governance:
Does the website still need updating? IK is managing the Facebook page and Twitter account. DI suggested we get some quotes for updating the website.

Any other business – LR asked if any suggestions for a Prevent anti-terrorism project as bids to be submitted by January. No suggestions offered.

Date of next meeting (Monday 6th January 2014, Moseley Exchange @ 7.00 pm)

Committee Meeting - 3rd June 2013

Attendees

Moseley Forum Management Committee: Isobel Knowles (Vice Chair and acting Chair); Chris Hemming (minutes); Jill Adams (Treasurer); Anna Hraboweckyj; Joss Kennordrie; Esther Boyd; John Gorman; Liz Rasheed; David Isgrove (Chair from item 3)
Guests: Fiona Adams; Mary Stopes Row; Ellie Gabbay

Apologies

Alistair Greer

The agenda was agreed.

Minutes of the previous meeting & matters arising:

The minutes of the meetings of 2nd April and the Agm were circulated and agreed subject to John Gorman being recorded at present on April 2nd and the correction of David s surname to Bugajski The minutes of the closed meeting were not circulated and would be presented to the next meeting
All matters arising were on the agenda.
It was noted that:
The Scientologisthave now received planning consent for the educational use of Pitmaston House
The land for the railway at Camphill has been sold/leased out by Birmingham City Council. It was agreed this would be covered in the July meeting.
The cameras referred to on the Moseley road could not be located.

Moseley Forum Local Issues:

AGM The minutes were agreed to go on the website
Moseley Big Plan This is now out for consultation with venues arranged at the CDT , the Coop in the village and with the Moseley Society and at Cannon Hill MAC. The dates will be on the CDT website. All were invited to put in individual responses. There was concern at to the adequacy of the Birmingham Be Heard consultation website. It was agreed to raise this with councillors.
Co-option Jane Harvey was co opted.

The Big Issue

Becky Mitchell of the Big Issue presented a detailed hour long presentation on the structure and working of the Big issue and the situation in Moseley.

She clearly set out that Big issues seller are interviewed and only given the self employed position if they meet certain standards. The intention is to move someone from homelessness and worklessness into employment or self employment by providing structured expectations and support. A hand up not a hand out.
This includes:
1. Issue seller must buy their magazines at £1 a copy and sell them at £2.50 they should not accept donations.
2. They must only sell on their patch and between agreed hours . Never after 9 pm
3. The interview covers health, aspirations, money manaagement addictions and housing situation. Only those who are ready are approved.
4. The seller has to buy their red jacket and badge.
5. They have review interviews at 3month intervals but have to buy magazines each week.
6. There are no time limits on being a seller though it is expected most will move into other employment.
7. As people move on they are provided with references, counselling and training in sales to NVQ2.
It was stated that no big issue sellers were allowed in pubs to sell.

Becky was thanked for her detailed presentation and provided her details to answer any further questions from members of the public through the forum. She also agreed to give a detailed interview to B13.

Recycling Issues
It was explained that the clothes bank positioned by the toilets was an official Birmingham City clothes bank.
It was also confirmed that the city will be removing the glass and paper recycling form the body of the car park due to its misuse and that the camera installed to prevent misuse had proved ineffective. Concern was expressed at the length of the Veolia contract which expires in 2021. It was agreed that the Chair send a letter to the council re the cost effectiveness of the current scheme.
A trial of wheelie bins is being under taken in Harborne before it can be rolled out into wider Birmingham. There continued to be disquiet about recycling in general with Ester Boyd and Chris Hemming commenting about the need for more information concerning the destination of recycling which is undertaken through the council. Ellie Gabbay highlighted that tetra paks were sent to Bristol. It was outlined that the glass in household recycling is for road building with only clear glass from communal bins being used again as glass. Aluminium still goes to land fill. David agreed to raise this issue with the council.

Tesco
It was highlighted that the site was now for sale. Jill expressed the view that the churches could work with the community and the doctors surgery to make an offer for redevelopment and occupation of the land.

Christmas Lights
Issy explained that she had worked with the traders to put together a funding and implementation package for Christmas lights through out the village including Woodbridge Road. The committee thanked her for this work

Moseley Forum Governance:

Due to the length of the presentation there was little time to cover these issues .
POLICE - A report of the police was circulated which will be placed on the website.
B13 – It was asked to be in larger print and with 2 months of events plus a letters page.
SUSMO - It was noted that Susmo has due to resources combined with King Health Transition and were holding a second meeting at the Kitchen Garden on Thursday 20th June 2013.
ANTI TERRORISM – Liz R reported on the prevention of radicalisation work. A meeting is being held on 27th June at MECC Edward Rd.
WEBSITE – Committee agreed to pictures and to contact details of committee being on the site
PUBLIC MEETING – The next public meeting is planned for September.
FOOD FESTIVAL – on 20nd July 2013 there will be a food festival in Moseley
It was agreed that in future meeting the presentation if any will be held at the end of the business meeting.

AOB:

Date of next meeting:
Date of the next meeting Monday July 1st at 7pm in the Moseley Exchange.

Top of page